Hey! I’m Sarah, the recipe developer, photographer, and writer at Oats & Yummy. Welcome to the place on the web where I share my collection of wholesome, simple, family-friendly recipes.
I’m a lifelong food lover who spent quite a few childhood hours glued to the TV watching Martha Stewart, Rachael Ray and Emeril (BAM!). Watching these kitchen masters in action led to an early interest in cooking, which has continued to grow throughout my life.
My training in the kitchen consists of A LOT of trial and error – all while cooking my way through mountains of cookbooks, magazines, and food blog recipes. I truly believe that anyone can learn to cook with a little practice!
I’m a proud mom of two little kitchen protégés who help me out – mostly in the taste-testing department. My younger daughter is a vegetarian so most of the recipes on this site are plant-based.
Rounding out the team here at Oats & Yummy is my husband Derek, who wears the many hats of taste-tester, dishwasher, tech support, and cheerleader.
A few random facts about us:
- I was born and raised in Ohio but recently relocated to sunny California.
- Derek and I met during our undergraduate at the University of Dayton – Go Flyers!
- The most frequently consumed food in our house is oatmeal, which inspired my blog name.
- As a child, I asked for a food dehydrator for Christmas and my parents actually bought it for me. My semi-obsession with kitchen gadgets continued through college with the Gizmo, and, more recently than I care to admit, a Yonanas and a Sushezi.
- Derek knows the way to my heart is with ice cream – we went to Ben & Jerry’s on our first date. Phish Food is still his favorite, but mine is Jeni’s Brown Butter Almond Brittle.
Happy cooking! ♥ Sarah